Saturday, August 25, 2018

Entry 1: Course Introduction

Caroline Lopez's Blog





          Welcome to the first entry of my blog! My name is Caroline Lopez and I am a senior at UH. I am very excited to be getting my bachelor's degree for EC-6 generalist. I can't wait to take what I have learned and incorporate it in the classroom.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=13JXo9AaxFLKda-3BtB1X7EP1WgR1KB8C


          I grew up with English as my first language and learning some Spanish throughout my life. When I was in school there were not many ELL students in my classes and the children who had spoken another language had already learned English well enough to be able to have conversations with the teacher and classmates. It had seemed to me that the children were able to learn English quickly because even though the children had a native language to be in a second or third grade class with no pull outs or help form other teachers to translate was interesting. According to Wright, (2015), there is often a misconception that children who are migrants and their first language is not English learn English at a slow level (p. 7). I think this is true because now I hear people saying that if a child speaks a foreign language they will never be able to understand English nor make it far in life. When I hear that it makes me upset and want to make sure that any student I have knows that they are capable of anything they put their mind to. 


          I have talked to friends who have said that their first language is not English. However,  since being in America and having to speak English more they have lost much of how to speak their first language. I always found it interesting that some would say that even though English was their second language it became their dominant language. As the text states, “immigrant to the United States willingly abandon their language and culture to become Americans” (Wright 2015, p. 18). Seeing that people lose their culture to fit in and be accepted by others is a sad thing to see and I hope my students know that they do not have to so that. 


Reference:

          Wright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, 2015. Print. Second Edition.

8 comments:

  1. Hello Caroline, I enjoyed your video and your drive to learn Spanish on your own. When I attempted to learn German I also downloaded an App called Babble, but I could not effectively learn through it! I am pretty sure if I chose a language that I was a bit more familiar with, like Spanish, I would have been more successful. I also agree with you on the aspect that I am not too experienced with educating ELL students as of right now, most of my knowledge comes from observing the classrooms. According to Wright, “limited resources and the challenges of learning English may impede opportunities to learn, ELL's can learn and reach the highest levels of academic achievement” (p.15). When educators implement differentiation within the classroom, and when they ask for assistance from the ELL specialist on campus, they can effectively reach the various levels of English language speakers within their classroom setting.


    Wright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Calson, 2015. Print. Second Edition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Megan, I think you are right, when teachers and schools incorporate differentiated instruction in the classroom, it is ultimately better for the ELL child. This can help the student grasp the English language better and in a more helpful way. Also, I think what could also help is when Wright mentioned the Funds of knowledge. In the chapter, Wright says it “refers to the body of knowledge, cultural artifacts, and cultural resources that are present in students’ homes and communities and can be drawn on as a basis for learning” (p.15). We should help the students learn English not by just trying to teach them information that they do not know but draw from what they do know and build from there.

      Wright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Calson, 2015. Print. Second Edition.

      Delete
    2. Caroline, you are absolutely correct when you state that we as educators should focus on the strengths that our ELL students have, as well as attempt to understand their culture to better assist them with mastering their student learning outcomes. Wright explains that “all teachers share the responsibility for ELLS…[ and they] must get to know their students by obtaining information about their sociocultural background” (p. 24) and this information will help us understand what materials are needed to accommodate or modify to help assist the ELL students.


      Wright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Calson, 2015. Print. Second Edition.

      Delete
  2. Hi Caroline! I really liked what you said about wanting to make sure that your future students know that they are capable of doing anything that they set their minds to. According to Wright, “Historically, the U.S. Education system has done an inadequate job in providing equitable educational opportunities to poor and minority students.” (2010, page 13) These misconceptions of migrants learning English at a slow level, need to stop. We as future educators need to support our students by trying to become more knowledgeable about educating ELL students, and by becoming aware of the students’ backgrounds, so that we can provide them with the correct resources so that they can achieve.

    Wright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, 2015.Print. Second Edition

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joanna, I also think that as a future educator with possible ELL students we need to learn as much as we can on how the best ways to educate ELL students and make sure to take the common misconstructions about the students away. Also, what you said about the student’s background is true. According to Wright, (2015), "educators who work with ELLs must be aware of linguistic diversity in their schools and surrounding communities” (p. 16). Every school is different and with a diversity of students therefore, by learning and building up the knowledge of where your students are coming from and the community around them can help when it comes to teaching.
      Wright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, 2015. Print. Second Edition.

      Delete
  3. Hello Caroline!

    Thank you for sharing your experience. When I read your story and saw that you felt like the other students in your class were familiar with the English lanaguage and could communicate with the teacher and other classmates, it gave me greater perspective. Often times we think English language learners are starting at the same level of English proficiency but that is not true. I’m sure there was a sense of loneliness that you couldn’t run from when you witnessed other students that could understand more but I hope your teachers did what they could to support you in that time. I hope that I can become a teacher that embraces diversity and encourages my ELL students to see the learning English process as a journey that will be endured.
    It was interesting that you mentioned you were shocked that nonnative English speakers that started off speaking another language ended up forgetting their first language when they learned English. My siblings and I are the product of that very reoccurring story where we immersed ourselves in the culture that we have forgotten our own (Wright, 2015, pg. 18). I feel ashamed about not fluently knowing a language that was my first language. However, I am currently working on mastering my first language, Tigrinya.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Asmara! That is very good to hear that you are at the process of working and mastering your first language. When the article says “encouraging ELLs to maintain and develop their home languages while they develop proficiency in English benefits the individual ELL and his or her family and community” is what I feel to be very accurate (Wright, 2015, p. 23). When teaching children, a new language we want to make sure that they are grasping the language, but we should also try to make sure that when they gain a new language they do not lose one as well.

      Wright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, 2015. Print. Second Edition.

      Delete
  4. Hi Astyn, thank you for looking can commenting on my blog. I do agree with what you said about educators need to be motivators for their students. What might help is when Wright says that “teachers also need to know their students’ cultural backgrounds and how culture influences learning at school” (Wright, 2015, p.17) Motivating the students to do well and learn while incorporating the child’s culture to influence their learning is a great tool. It also lets the child know that even though we want them to learn a new culture, we don’t want them to forget their first language and their culture for another.

    Wright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, 2015. Print. Second Edition.

    ReplyDelete

Entry 4

I have learned a lot from this class. When the class first started, I did not know what to expect because I felt that in other classes tho...