Sunday, November 4, 2018

Entry 4


I have learned a lot from this class. When the class first started, I did not know what to expect because I felt that in other classes those had gone over a few items on how to help and teach ELL students. Also, with seeing some of the accommodations that some teachers from previous observations have done for their students I felt as though I has an idea on what I could do for future ELL students.  However, now gone through this course I see that there was much more to be learned that I could have imagined. I have learned from other students and teachers their experiences being taught or teaching a new language.
From what I have learned throughout this class is has allowed me to see new ways on what I would like to incorporate in my classroom when helping students learn. For example, when I was talking to Ms. Nancy she had described how she had different words around the room for helping students learning English which worked for her. Also, from interviewing an Ell student when Abbas told me that when his teacher would pair him up with another student and how that was helpful these show me simple procedures that I can use in my teaching life to help ELL and non-ELL students succeed.
As far as this class has on impacting my teaching philosophy, it has enhanced it. My teaching philosophy had always been wanting to teach my students as bet of my ability with making them feel welcome and comfortable. I want my class to feel as though they do not have to feel unwelcome by me or others. From what Wright (2015) has said in the text is what I feel teachers need to remember, “teachers need to know their students’ cultural backgrounds and how culture influences learning at school” (p.17).
Furthermore, I have learned that ELL students come from all over and are at different levels with some being beginners at learning English to others having more proficiency in English but needed help with proper grammar. As a future teacher I see that “students differ in terms of prior knowledge, academic proficiency, learning styles, and social background” (Wright, 2015, p.264). It is important for teachers to try and learn who students are and their overall background to get a better understanding and possibly find ways to teach the students that have a connection with themselves.
What I feel this class should go over more is about additive bilingualism. Before taking this class, I did not know what additive bilingualism was. When students are leaning a new language especially one that will become their new dominate language it is important that they do not lose their first language which is tied to their culture. As Wright (2015) discussed, “additive bilingualism should be the form of bilingualism that schools offer to their ELL students” (p.21). I think that if we as future teachers are taught the benefit more of teaching children a new language, but not losing their first will help them in their future.

Wright, Wayne. (2015). Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice(2nded.). Philadelphia, PA: Caslon.

9 comments:


  1. Hey Caroline!
    Just from reading your reflection for this class, I can already tell that you’re going to be a great teacher! You seem to want to implement a lot of great strategies that are sure to benefit your students. I like your comment “It is important for teachers to try and learn who students are and their overall background…” I completely agree, according to Wright (2015) “Experience leads to expertise. Thus, the more the teacher knows about a students’ experiences, the more he or she can assume about the expertise that the student is likely to have.” (pg.17) It is imperative that we as teachers learn as much information as possible as we can about our students, that way we can understand what our students need in order to succeed!

    Wright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, 2015.Print. Second Edition

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Joanna, thank you for reading my post. I understand what you mean by saying we as teachers need to learn as much as we can about our students. The school day can be hectic and fast pace before you know it the end of the day has come. I know that even by asking a small question about the student when transitioning classes or taking bathroom breaks are important. As Wright (2015) says, “The most important and beneficial listening and speaking that students will do is through interaction with the teacher…” (p. 170).

      Wright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, 2015.Print. Second Edition

      Delete
  2. Hi Caroline I really enjoyed reading your reflection and I agree with you on so many points, for example when you said that in previous classes we learned some basic things on what to do for the ELL students so I was kind of expecting to learn more in depth about that. I really liked that you took notice of the students helping one another out, I really like that method that Wright (2015) states “particularly interactions between a language learner and a proficient speaker, the speakers may modifications as they their meaning across” (page 53). Students need those opporutinites to converse with one another so that they can apply what they have learned and can hear the new language from a peer. I agree with you that this class was very beneficial to us as we become teacher and hopefully we can remember the methods that we have been taught.

    Wright, Wayne. (2015). Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice(2nded.). Philadelphia, PA: Caslon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura, thank you for reading and replying to my post. The interactions that students have with others is critical to their learning. At times teachers may think that the students should not be conversing with others and that when doing assignments there should be no talking. However, with how much Wright talks about interactions that students should have help them grow. This is key for ELL students to help with their speaking. A line that is said in the book is what I feel teachers should remember, “Interaction is crucial for English language development.” (Wright, 2015, p. 170).

      Wright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, 2015.Print. Second Edition

      Delete
  3. Hi Caroline!

    Before taking this course, I also thought I had an idea of what it was like to teach ELLs. But I was wrong. Taking this course helped me realize that I needed to learn more about the different theories and strategies that can be used to best accommodate ELLs and help them be proficient in English. I think pairing up ELLs with other students in the classroom is very beneficial for them. Afterall, Wright (2015) does mention that cooperative learning “is a form of scaffolding provided by classroom peers that contributes to the oral development of ELLs in several ways” (p.170). I also do agree about additive bilingualism. We want ELLs to be proficient in English but we also do not want them to forget their home language. Thank You for sharing your reflection!

    Wright, Wayne. (2015). Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice(2nded.). Philadelphia, PA: Caslon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melissa, thank you for reading my reflection. Additive bilingualism is what teachers need to strive for when they have ELL in the classroom. Teachers should not just try to teach their students English. When only one language is on focus, the students home language can be lost. In the text, Wright (2015) explains how “recognizing ELL’s home languages and cultures as rich resources for helping ELLs learn English and academic content, and they strive to help students develop high levels of proficiency and literacy in both languages” (p.3). Accepting both languages and using them in the classroom helps progress students’ knowledge.

      Wright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, 2015.Print. Second Edition

      Delete
  4. Hi Caroline! I really enjoyed reading your reflection and I completely agree with your statement of not knowing what to expect from this class. Through this class we got a chance to learn about teaching ELL students through other individuals. I agree that now we have seen new ways to incorporate techniques into our future classroom. Although we have been exposed to these techniques in our other classes, we received a more personal experience while interviewing educators or former ELL students.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nicole, thank you for responding to my post. I agree with what you have said about the experiences we received from this class. Having the opportunity to talk to ELL teachers and observe classrooms with ELL has been great. As Wright (2015) discusses, “educators who work with ELLs must be aware of the linguistic diversity in their schools and surrounding communities” (p. 6). From our experiences in the class, I feel as though I got a better sense of what to look for and to be mindful of about ELL.
      Wright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, 2015.Print. Second Edition

      Delete
  5. Hello Caroline,

    Thank you so much for sharing your experiences in this course. I too shared that many courses in the past had grazed over teaching and working with English language learners. This course really opened my eyes to endless possibilities general education teachers have to support the ELLS that are placed in their classrooms. I thought it was incredible that no matter how extravagant or how simple a new technique is that you learned from an experienced teacher or a former ELL, you are able to take from them and keep in your toolbox when you become an educator. I think that your teaching philosophy to make your students feel welcomed and warm when being in your classroom is the foundation to a healthy relationship with your students. I hope that your students, especially your English language learners forever feel the compassion and empathy you have for their learning process. Good luck in teaching ☺

    ReplyDelete

Entry 4

I have learned a lot from this class. When the class first started, I did not know what to expect because I felt that in other classes tho...